Wednesday, April 30, 2008

MY music of 1990...

Doing a list of favorite 80s songs was easy. The 90s is much harder. Music was so much more diverse then - it was all over the place. So, I've decided to break it down by year. This will be fun!



In 1990 I was 12-going-on-13. In some ways (ie friends) it was a great year. In other ways (ie BAD hair, braces, poor fashion choices, inability to use makeup properly, unfortunate food/body image issues resulting in lunches of Evian water and Slim Fast) it was...awkward. But there was a soundtrack to it all, because the music...the music was major. At that age, music was pretty much my hobby. Not that I was a musician or anything. I just listened to a lot - A LOT - of it. I had a notebook where I would write down lyrics to songs I loved...My 2 best friends and I would sing karaoke style into a tape recorder...I spent my allowance on a new cassette tape EVERY weekend. I was ALL about music. It was hard to narrow down a list of favorites from 1990 - there are lots of great ones that almost made the list, but in this moment, these are my top 15 - in countDOWN form. Check it out.





15

Cosmic Thing by The B-52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgK1D3_x6ZQ

I loved - no, STILL love this whole CD! It was hard to pick which song from it to use. I got this CD from Columbia House - you know, the 12 CDs for 1 cent thing. Good time music!

14

The Emperor's New Clothes by Sinead O'Connor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlPCl6aF5VA

(Can't explain this one...just always loved it...)


13

Blaze of Glory by Jon Bon Jovi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upenR6n7xWY

12

Up All Night by Slaughter

I was in love w/the drummer for about a week back in the summer of 90...
11
I'm Your Baby Tonight by Whitney Houston
Live on Arsenio Hall! I used to love that show!

10

It Must've Been Love by Roxette

My cousin, Meredith, and I wore this tape out one summer playing pool in my aunt's game room...seriously, the tape actually broke and I had to beg someone to take me to Walmart to replace it.
9
Heartbeat by Seduction

8

Do Me! by Bell Biv Devoe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cylqo8Hh_7g

I still have a cassette tape of me and my 2 BFFs singing along to the entire BBD album...3 dorky white 13 year old girls - and we refused to say any of the "bad words"...oh my...


7
Cradle of Love by Billy Idol

6

5
Vogue by Madonna

4
Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
I won't lie. I love this song. Always have.
3
Whole Wide World by A'me Lorain
I used to have this cassette single - it had 4 version of the song on it...I used dance to it over and over. Loved it.

2
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) by Motley Crue

1
I Remember You by Skid Row

(yep, this was on my 80s list, too. It was on the 89/90 line - and good enough to count twice! )

LIVE version



1991 coming soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obvious exclusion:
The Pass
Rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noR3qbCWs9g

Released November 1989, but close enough.

Charnita said...

YEAH Bon Jovi!!!!!!!

ABOUT ME

I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools my 2 stay at home daughters. Life is what we make it - and we choose to make it a wonderful, creative, magical adventure each and every day!