Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Idol Top 13 Predictions

I have "sort of" watched so far this season. I usually dvr it and fast forward through, taking the time only to watch the really good or interesting people. However, I thought it would be fun to over-analyze the show and its contestants. Make some predictions. Maybe dig up some spoilers.

I think I read that the theme will be Michael Jackson. Overall, I think it's a fair theme for all of the contestants. Everyone should be able to find SOMETHING they can work with... (I'll go ahead and mention that I HATE the fact that there are theme weeks. I think it's RIDICULOUS to make someone who is clearly a rocker sing Barry Manilow or country music. Just let them pick what they want, darn it.)

Now, on with the over-analysis. All totally my opinion.

My take on the 13 contestants and their chances...

Kris Allen - I had to look this guy up. I didn't remember who he was. He needs a cool stage name or something to make him stand out, because he's kind of just a normal dude fading into the background behind all of these other characters. Don't really see him cracking the top 10. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 11-13 range

Megan Corkrey - This is a tough one. Either she'll go early because people don't "get" her, or she'll make it far because she's unique. So far, she's not one of my favorites. She just doesn't sound that great to me. But we'll see. Tonight will be a good test. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 7-10 range

Anoop Desai - Anoop should do okay tonight. He didn't get the vote from America, so that seemingly puts him at a disadvantage (along with Matt, Megan, and Jasmine). Will he get the votes now? Very possible. I think he'll make it into the top 10. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 7-10 range

Matt Giraud - Pretty much the same prediction as above. He made it through as a wildcard, now he has to prove his worth in the competition. He probably won't be as popular as Anoop, so his chances of making the top 10 are iffy. He has to blow everyone away starting tonight. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 10-13 range (but I hope he does better)

Danny Gokey - The big story is Danny and his heartbreaking story of his wife's death. This can be viewed two ways 1) as an inspirational story of how the human spirit triumphs and he follows his dream in the midsts of tragedy OR 2) he's using that to get votes. My vote is the first one. BUT if the topic is brought up repeatedly, there will be inevitable backlash. In my opinion, Danny will make it to the top 3 based on talent, not backstory. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 1-3 range

Alexis Grace - One of my favorites! I hope she doesn't fizzle out as many who make a strong first impression do. I'd like see her in the top 5, at least...but I don't know if she'll have the fan base to take her that far. She's another iffy one. How she does tonight will make a difference. She's probably the female performance I'm most looking forward to tonight. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 4-7 range

Allison Iraheta - She's good - no doubt about that. She should easily make it to the midway point, based on her voice. How she deals with the theme weeks and whether she makes good song choices will determine whether she makes it much further than that. She certainly has potential to. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 3-6 range

Adam Lambert - Not a fan myself, but I definitely think he'll make the top 10. I'm assuming the top 10 go on the "Idol Tour" or whatever it's called. I think that's how they've done it in the past. I'm sure the powers that be want Adam on that tour. I don't think there's even a slight chance he'll be voted out before clinching a spot on the tour. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 6-9 range

Scott MacIntyre - I like Scott - a lot. I hope he brings out the keyboard and keeps doing songs he loves. Some people claim that the only reason he's getting any attention is because he's blind. And that very well may be true, but so what. That IS a big deal. That's the beauty of the show - finding people who are unique and have a story to tell. A way to inspire. To me, that's far more interesting than just having a group of people who can sing. He's not the best singer, but he is someone people can admire. I'll take him over Carrie Underwood or Ruben Studdard any day.
MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 3-6 range

Jasmine Murray - She should do okay. Maybe/probably make the top 10 for the tour, but I'm not sure she'll be able to push ahead of some of these others who are either better singers or more interesting characters. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 8-11 range

Jorge Nunez - Another favorite of mine! I can't wait to see how he deals with different themes! I hope he does well! I'd love to see him in the finals! BUT I don't know if anyone else shares my enthusiasm over Jorge. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 5-8 range (but I'm hoping for better!)

Lil Rounds - Definitely a contender! She reminds me of Latoya London WAY back in season...3, was it? Everyone was sure she was a lock for the win, but then - in a shocking elimination - she was out. All because people were so confident she had it in the bag that they didn't vote. MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 1-3 range

Michael Sarver - We'll see what happens tonight. He needs to make an impression to stick around, though I do not feel that he'll be the first to go...MY PLACEMENT PREDICTION: 9-12 range


Tomorrow I'll blog about the performances...
Who will be the biggest surprise?
Who will be the biggest disappointment?
Who will be the first to go?

No comments:

ABOUT ME

I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools my 2 stay at home daughters. Life is what we make it - and we choose to make it a wonderful, creative, magical adventure each and every day!