
Episode 2...When the story arcs begin to take shape. The edit for each "character" becomes a little more apparent. I say "character" because I'll be the first to say, I don't think the ways these girls are portrayed on the show are necessarily true to life. Footage is chopped, misused, manipulated - all for the sake of creating a story. What appears to be one girl rolling her eyes at another girl can actually be one girl rolling her eyes at a pesky fly. (Case in point, the DeAnna footage - but we'll get to that another time.) Keeping that in mind, you have to wonder what the motive for manipulating the footage is. Hence, examining the edit.
So, here's how the edits for the remaining girls are shaping up thus far...
Stephanie - Episode 2 makes it clear that her "character" is officially "the weeping widow". It's unfortunate, because I'm sure there is more to her than that, but that is what we are getting. Her storyline arc will be learning to love again. Having a great experience. Opening her heart again. She will be eliminated further down the line. I do not see her as the final one.
Jillian - Cute Canadian hot dog hick is getting a GREAT edit. She had the first one-on-one date with Jason (a private Robin Thicke concert) AND the first kiss of the season. Jason has nothing but good things to say about Jillian. She stays away from controversy with the other girls. Pretty solid edit, no doubt. IF Jillian is not the final one (I personally don't think she is), it will be interesting to see what goes wrong -because right now she and Jason seem like a really good fit. Naomi - She got a slightly better edit this episode than in the first one. However, her attempt to get Jason to kiss her was pretty lame. "We'll always be friends...So, can friends kiss?" It worked, but it was SOOOOOO lame. I just can't like Naomi.
Melissa - Another great edit. She had a one-on-one with Jason also (they went up in the Goodyear blimp!), and - in my opinion - it went better than Jason's date with Jillian, which is saying a lot. Jason and Melissa seem like a couple. And she seems to have a handle on what it means to be with Jason - moving to Seattle, marrying into an instant family. I don't think it's an accident that there have been multiple scenes of her talking about that kind of thing. Good, good edit.Nikki - Last week, she was at the top - first impression rose winner, said all the right things. This episode, she was just kind of there. I'm thinking we are being set up to see Nikki fizzle out. If you look back at past seasons, getting the first impression rose is almost always the kiss of death on The Bachelor.
Molly - We are not supposed to like Molly. She's being portrayed as aggressive, calculating. Chica already had a rose and she still barged in on someone else's private conversation with Jason. Oh - and her tactic to get a kiss? Puh-lease. "Hey, Jason, wanna see my secret talent? It's kissing!" Her edit reminds me a bit of Kirsten from season 3 (Andrew Firestone) - and Kirsten ended up in the final 2 (but I liked Kirsten - I do NOT like Molly so far). The classic good vs. evil finale. Could be so for Molly. Jason certainly seems to like something about her.Natalie - Not much to this one. That tells me she won't be around long - otherwise the viewers would be given a reason to root for her. We're given nothing. She gets a one-on-one date next week, so maybe that will change. Or maybe Jason will confirm there's nothing there and send her home.
Kari - Same as above. In fact, I don't even remember seeing her in the episode.
Lauren - This one made a VERY transparent attempt to do what previous winners Helene, Mary, and Tessa have done - which is tell The Bachelor they are considering leaving. In those previous seasons, the women were sincere and it worked because The Bachelor was already smitten with them. Lauren was FAKING IT and played her card too soon and came off as insecure. Jason even said so himself. My opinion: It was a petty attempt for more screen time. Once again, I don't think Lauren is there for Jason.
Shannon - I feel like she's getting the "friend" edit. She's already in puppy love with Jason, but he'll never see her as more than just a friend. So, she'll be kept around as "filler" because she's kooky. Chances are Jason already knows which 2 or 3 girls he's most interested in. The rest are just filler.
Megan - I don't see a connection between Megan and Jason. None whatsoever. Yeah, they both have kids, but that's not exactly the criteria for a great, lasting relationship. I kind of have to wonder if the producers aren't urging him to keep her around for drama. She seems to be rather confrontational - and that makes good tv.
Erica - Same as above. But worse. And without the common bond of having a kid. I see absolutely nothing between Jason and Erica. And she's SO abrasive. Producer pick for filler.
Say goodbye to...
Lisa - She left on her own due to family problems. Would she have gotten a rose if she had stayed? I don't know. Maybe. Instead of Erica. That would've been great.
Raquel - She hid out in his limo and waited for him. He didn't seem pleasantly surprised - he seemed weirded out - like one would be if they came home to find a bunny boiling on their stove. She came off as creepy, and I think that's what sealed her fate.
Sharon - The poor girl quit her job as a Spanish teacher and left her friends and family to come on the show. But that doesn't mean Jason owes her a rose. Adios, Sharon.
Predictions for next week...
Either Erica or Megan will be sent home roseless. The big drama will be - which one of these mortal enemies will "win" and which will "lose".
Stephanie's one-on-one will be great - filled with tears of joy since they are surprising her with her daughter. Great tv moment --- Well done, producers. And - naturally - there will be more talk of her deceased husband, as this is her "character" for the season. Similar thing happened a few seasons back. She will get a rose, I'm sure, but still, she's not the final one. Had Stephanie ended up as "winner", I do not think there would be so much about her late husband, episode after episode.
Natalie will NOT get a rose on her one-on-one date.
NEXT EP: MONDAY, JANUARY 19 - 8/7c on ABC
*SCREENCAPS COURTESY OF DREAMER AT JOKER'S UPDATES
1 comment:
I am reading this after watching the 3rd episode and it's kinda like you got to preview it....weird!! Amanda
Post a Comment