100 Greatest Hard Rock songs.
Some easy answers come to mind.
Some songs I don't even like, but can acknowledge their worth.
But it seems VH1 and I don't quite agree.
(I realize viewers vote, but VH1 only gives certain songs to choose from...)
What else is new?
After the idiotic 80s and 90s countdowns, I swore I was done...
But, let's face it - I freakin' LOVE countdowns.
I couldn't resist.
So, here is VH1's countdown. All 100.
Accompanied by my comments.
What do YOU think?
100. Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55"
Blah. Whatever. I don't care about this song, but I don't have anything against it. Guess it's fine on the list.
99. Grand Funk Railroad "We're An American Band"
Same review as above. Whatever.
98. Buckcherry "Lit Up"
Well...it definitely is hard rock. Not really a favorite of mine, but it represents for the late 90s - a time when hard rock was nearly obselete.
97. The Edgar Winter Group "Frankenstein"
Never heard of this before. It's fine on the list.
96. Kansas "Carry On My Wayward Son"
Not into this one, but it's fine on the list.
95. Creed "Higher"
You have GOT to be kidding me. Ridiculous. Lame. Laughable. NO. Just NO.
94. The Darkness "I Believe in a Thing Called Love"
Yeah, I guess. OK.
93. Autograph "Turn Up the Radio"
BORING!
92. Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me"
OK...ish.
91. Smashing Pumpkins "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"
YES! Awesome!
90. Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
I hate this song.
89. Andrew W.K. "Party Hard"
I guess this one is okay.
88. Alice in Chains "Would?"
YES! There are several AIC songs that could've been in the countdown. And ranked higher. But I'm happy Would? is on here. Love this song!
87. Winger "Seventeen"
OK.
86. Marilyn Manson "The Beautiful People"
OK. I guess.
85. Velvet Revolver "Slither"
OK.
84. W.A.S.P "I Wanna Be Somebody"
Not a fan.
83. Evanescence "Bring Me Back to Life"
I don't dislike this song, but...it just doesn't fit in this countdown to me. I would've never classified this as hard rock. Never. So, I guess my answer is no for this one. Shouldn't be on this countdown.
82. Rainbow "Since You Been Gone"
I don't know. Kinda lame if you ask me. Especially considering the song/band that follows it in the countdown.
81. Black Sabbath "Heaven and Hell"
Finally a song that I actually consider to be hard rock. Yes to this one. Shame that this one is sandwiched between two very lame NON-hard rock songs.
80. Journey "Any Way You Want It"
Journey is not hard rock. Come on! It's practically pop music. Guess my criteria for hard rock is too strict. I do like Journey, but I don't feel this one as hard rock. Still...OK.
79. Billy Idol "Rebel Yell"
Sure, I like this song a lot!
78. Bad Company "Feel Like Making Love"
I'm sorry, did I just change the channel to "100 Lamest Songs Ever" countdown? Shouldn't this come between Barry Manilow and Elton John on some sort of soft rock countdown? NOT hard rock. Not at all. No. No. No. No. No.
77. Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"
I'll say yes, but I personally would've chosen a different Soundgarden song. This one is not a favorite of mine...and I don't think it really "rocks". But as long as it gets Soundgarden on the countdown, I'll get on board.
76. Lita Ford "Kiss Me Deadly"
Yes.
75. The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army"
I guess. A half-hearted yes.
74. The Cult "Love Removal Machine"
OK.
73. Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak"
Never heard of it. There are some songs already covered that were way better than this, though.
72. Pat Benatar "Heartbreaker"
OK. Not my idea of hard rock, though.
71. Jane's Addiction "Mountain Song"
I dig Jane's Addiction. I'll second this one.
70. Foreigner "Hot Blooded"
OK.
69. Living Colour "Cult of Personality"
OK.
68. White Zombie "More Human Than Human"
Sure.
67. ZZ Top "Tush"
OK.
66. Europe "The Final Countdown"
I don't like this song, but OK. (I've got a lot of OKs in a row here - this countdown is lookin' better!)
65. MC5 "Kick Out the Jams"
Wouldn't be on MY personal countdown.
64. Rollins Band "Liar"
OK.
63. Survivor "Eye of the Tiger"
Another one that doesn't seem hard rock to me. But I guess it'll do. It's a good song.
62. Dokken "Breaking the Chains"
OK.
61. Ratt "Round and Round"
OK.
60. Skid Row - 18 and life
BIG YES! Love Skid Row!
59. Billy Squier - the Stroke
Ugh. Hate this.
58. Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love song
SOOOO not hard rock. There are WAY better STP songs to fit into this countdown.
57. The Kinks - You really got me
OK.
56. Warrant - Cherry Pie
OK, but shouldn't be ranked so high. Somewhere in the 80 range would be more fitting.
55. Blue Oyster Cult - Don't fear the reaper
OK. No - more than okay, because they included the SNL skit! Yay!
54. Faith No More - Epic
I like!
53. Steppenwolf - Born to be wild
Yes. I'm not wild about this song, but it's solid on this countdown.
52. The Runaways - Cherry Bomb
I wasn't familiar w/this song before seeing it on the countdown. My opinion...it sucks. Boo.
51. Megadeth - Peace Sells
Of course Megadeth belongs on a hard rock countdown! OK.
4 comments:
I'm too old for this I guess but I did like some of the songs (Eye of the Tiger....) Maybe the top 50 will be better- bring them on!!!
Dude,
You need to change your blogger pics. Don't you have like 500 more dogs and 20 cats that are not pictured??????????
Dude?
Um, some weird choices for hard rock, I agree.
Post a Comment