SINGLES

Plot: A group of twenty-somethings, most of whom live in the same apartment building, look for love, success, and happiness.
I find it to be a bit edgier than your typical romantic comedy. It's told in chapters and at times the characters speak directly to the camera, giving a little more insight into their lives. I think it works well for the film.
Here
are
a
couple
of
examples:
Steve Dunne:
Janet Livermore:
What makes this my favorite movie?
I guess it's a combination of things...
#1 The characters are great. Not in that they are fine, upstanding, admirable people, but they are so well crafted. I think my favorite is Matt Dillon as Cliff Poncier. And there are also a ton of really cool cameos, which brings me to reason #2 that I love this movie...
#2 The setting - Seattle, early 90s - at the brink of "grunge" explosion. (Hate the word grunge, but it is the best way to describe the "movement".) And that leads to my next reason...
#3 The soundtrack. At the moment, I can't think of a better movie soundtrack. Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Mother Love Bone and more. (I have to say, the exclusion of Nirvana makes me happy. A fan of Kurt Cobain, I am NOT.)
Unfortunately, all the good movie clips I could find on youtube are in Italian or French!
Fun fact: Once upon a time, my husband and I rented this movie and failed to return it on time, incurring a $90 late fee! Being the badass rebels we are, we simply kept the movie and switched video stores. In fact, I think we are actually banned from most video stores by now. Thank goodness for Charter On Demand!
Cast:
Campbell Scott
Kyra Sedgwick
Matt Dillon
Bridget Fonda
Jim True
Sheila Kelley
Bill Pullman
and many many great cameos...
Check out the movie and see for yourself!
No comments:
Post a Comment