I've been challenged by my good friend, zippity pow, to come up with my top 10 "jobs that got away". The jobs that could've been...
1. Actress
Why I would rock at this: I'm great at memorizing lines...and I watch A LOT of tv, which makes me pretty qualified, right?
What I could do with this: As a child, I wanted to be in soap operas - One Life to Live, to be exact.
Why I didn't end up doing this: Stage fright - and also, I can't act (I can give you video proof from an 8th grade acting class my best friends and I took)
2. Biochemist
Why I would rock at this: Well, I was interested in it - at the age of 12. I checked out books on biochemistry from the library, researched in encyclopedias - I got really into it.
What I could do with this: Cure diseases, after graduating with honors from Johns Hopkins University
Why I didn't end up doing this: I never made it to JHU...I got sidetracked by dating and friends and all those teen things...Plus, I don't think THAT much college is for me.
3. Astronomer
Why I would rock at this: I enjoyed learning about the planets in elementary school. It became a mini-obsession for me at the age of 9.
What I could do with this: Study the solar system...that's really all I know about the job, honestly
Why I didn't end up doing this: After the novelty wore off, I realized the boring side of the job.
4. Teacher
Why I would rock at this: I'm creative - I would make learning fun.
What I could do with this: Change the lives of students, have the summers off (well, the tiny part of the summer they still get to be off, anyway)
Why I didn't end up doing this: I don't have the patience to deal with a room full of students day in and day out.
5. FBI Agent
Why I would rock at this: Oh, you have no idea. My friends and I could dig up stuff on anyone, anytime back in the day. Just for sport. And this was BEFORE the internet. I have skills, I tell ya, mad skills. Plus, Point Break is one of my favorite movies, so...yeah...
What I could do with this: That's confidential, my friend. I would have been the "dumb blonde" who is too clueless to be effective. The underestimated agent. In fact, you're underestimating me right now, aren't you?
Why I didn't end up doing this: No good reason.
6. Psychologist
Why I would rock at this: I always had an interest in psychology - and picked up on the concepts pretty quickly. Along with the biochem books, I frequently checked psych books out of the library in my pre-teen years. I majored in it in college, too...briefly. Also, my friend's dad once told me I looked like a psychologist. So, if that's not grounds for rocking, I don't know what is.
What I could have done with this: School psychologist, clinical psychologist, neurological psychologist - there were many options.
Why I didn't end up doing this: I wasn't willing to put forth the time and effort. It just wasn't worth it to me. I wasn't passionate enough about it.
7. Writer
Why I would rock at this: I'm creative enough to - I actually have written a few books. And, I think I'm a pretty good writer.
What I could have done with this: Taken the pre-teen genre by storm.
Why I didn't end up doing this: Getting published is almost impossible. But never say never! Anyway, I've moved on to making my SimSeries on youtube instead for now. Writing, directing, AND producing!
8.Yoga instructor
Why I would rock at this: I do yoga.
What I could do with this: Teach other people yoga.
Why I didn't end up doing this: I guess you could say I lack discipline. Nobody wants a yoga teacher who only shows up once or twice a month.
9. Girl Band Member
Why I would rock at this: I wouldn't. Once again, I have documented evidence of me and my best friends from 8th grade...
What I could have done with this: Toured the world making music until the rock star world took its toll and I ended up the subject of a tragic "Behind the Music" episode on VH1.
Why I didn't end up doing this: I can't sing and I can't dance.
10. Yankee wife
Why I would rock at this: I like baseball. I like the Yankees. I like Derek Jeter.
What I could have done with this: Attended all of the games, seated with other Yankee wives, discussing the upcoming cookbook for charity we would be participating in.
Why I didn't end up doing this: I never met Derek Jeter. Plus I married a non-Yankee. Furthermore, I don't want to live in New York. It's just not going to work. Sorry Derek!
Now it's your turn, blog reader! What are YOUR 10 jobs that got away?
1 comment:
This is excellent! I didn't know these things about you! And I realized that there are a couple of other jobs that I didn't do...actress, comedian, astronomer...
Post a Comment