Monday, September 29, 2008

#2: "PEOPLE WHO HAVE MONEY DON'T NEED PEOPLE."


ALEX P. KEATON

of Family Ties


I wrote a really great post about Alex. And then my cat jumped on my keyboard and erased it all...and for some reason, blogger hadn't saved it. So, if this blog posting doesn't do Alex P. Keaton justice, I assure you the previous, cat sabotaged one did.

Back in my day, there were quite a few sitcoms featuring relatively "normal" teens involved in "normal" teen hijinx. You had your Theo Huxtable...your Mike Seaver...your Samantha Micelli...


And then there was Alex.


He was certainly not a typical teen. He carried a briefcase. He read the Wall Street Journal. Watched Wall Street Week. He idolized not a rock star or movie star, but Presidents Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon. All of this to the chagrin of his former hippie parents.

Alex could've easily been a "normal" teen, but making him the 'Young Republican' black sheep of his family was brilliant. In my opinion, it MADE the show. And I don't think any actor could've pulled it off as well as Michael J. Fox. I mean, how often do you actually get to see a Republican portrayed as cool?


A GREAT ALEX EPISODE:
"A, My Name is Alex"










No comments:

ABOUT ME

I'm a stay at home mom who homeschools my 2 stay at home daughters. Life is what we make it - and we choose to make it a wonderful, creative, magical adventure each and every day!