JULIA SUGARBAKER
Designing Women
If I could be any TV character for a day, this might be the one. Just for the speeches - the perfectly worded, rapid-fire, giving the world a piece of her mind speeches.Julia Sugarbaker, in my opinion, is one of the most well-crafted women ever on the small screen. Because of the speeches :-)
Kudos to the writers for crafting these wonderful works of word art - and kudos to Dixie Carter for performing them to perfection!
And, by the way, her nickname is "the Terminator".
Just a couple great "Terminator Tirades", courtesty of www.designingwomenonline.com
During the great debate between men and women.
JULIA: ...........in general it has been the men who have done the raping and the robbing and the killing and the war-mongering for the last two thousand years.... and it's been the men who have done the pillaging and the beheading and the subjecating of whole races into slavery. It has been the men who have done the law making and the money making and the most of the mischief making! So if the world isn't quite what you had in mind you have only yourselves to thank!!
REESE: Oh yeah? That's what you think about men? Well let me tell you something about women............... They're always late.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Julia gets a visit in jail from the female publisher of a nudie magazine.
TERRY: Mrs. Sugarbaker, I'm Terry Wilder.
JULIA: Yes, they told me you wanted to speak with me.
TERRY: I've decided to drop the lawsuit.
JULIA: Yes, they told me that, too.
TERRY: I had you checked out. You're a very tough lady. And I like that.
JULIA: So you're graciously going to set me free?
TERRY: Just so you know Mrs. Sugarbaker, this is still America, and free speech will always be protected.
JULIA: I know it will. But pornography won't always be, Miss Wilder. This country will let the Nazis speak, and the Ku Klux Klansmen speak because as dispicable as their statements are, they are speaking their mind. But when you publish your magazine, you're not speaking your mind. You'd shut that magazine down tomorrow if it weren't turning a profit. You know it and I know it. Pornography is not free speech, it's commerce. Otherwise you couldn't zone it out of certain nice areas of the city.
TERRY: Well, I see I am getting nowhere. We're both business women. Let's just leave it at that. I won't bother you, and you won't bother me.
JULIA: No, that's not quite right, Miss Wilder. You bother me very much. I know I can be sanctimonious and self-righteous, but nevertheless I've just gotta say it. Shame on you for calling yourself a feminist. And shame on you for hurting and demeaning women everywhere -- all for a lousy nickel. I may not be able to stop you today, but someday...we're going zone you right out of the city. And then we're gonna zone you right out of the county and then we're going to zone you right out of the country. And in fact, Miss Wilder, if I had my way, we might just zone you right off the globe.
No comments:
Post a Comment