I decided my quirks weren't quirky enough. So here's a second shot. The blog entry that officially seals my fate as a crazy person.
1) I have a strangely awesome memory. While it can be a great asset (I barely studied in school and made great grades), it can also be a pit of uselessness. However, I have entertained many friends with my account of events that they can't seem to recall, yet I know every detail of...I have kicked butt on many trivia games (well, tv/music trivia) because I knew the actor who played Skippy on Family Ties or the French restaurant Tony and Angela went to on an episode of Who's The Boss...etc, etc, etc.
2) I'm a stickler for planning/routine. You've heard the saying "a place for everything and everything in its place", well my motto would be "a time for everything and everything in its time". Example: lunch must be between 11 and 1. I don't know what would happen if lunch was eaten at 10:45 or 1:30. The earth would probably implode from the ensuing chaos. Another example: If my husband and I make plans with friends to go out to dinner, a specific time had better be mentioned...or I might self-destruct. How can I plan my day with dinner in limbo floating around out there? I CAN'T! Anal, huh?
3) I will not watch a movie or show about animals. Not even a cartoon. (Scooby Doo is okay, The Fox and the Hound is NOT...Dog Whisperer is okay, Canine 911 is NOT...) Animals in peril, in reality, fiction, or cartoon is off-limits for me. And that ASPCA commercial will ruin my entire day. I even cried at the beginning of Ace Ventura...I'd rather eat glass than watch Bambi. If the TV guide synopsis of a show says "Rudy and Vanessa bring home a stray dog..." I'm NOT watching. Don't even TALK to me about it - or talk about it with me around. Got it?
4) I make up names for people. This started, I guess, in middle school when my friends and I would make up code names for the guys we liked. There would be kind of a stream of consciousness thing to it, actually. It was a way to talk about someone without using their actual name. And somehow this stuck and I still do it. People in my neighborhood have alternate names...There's no point to it. It's just something I do. "Big Hair almost hit the Vandersnoot's dog when it was going over to the Smokerson's yard..." This is NOT normal...but it IS fun.
5) I have weird germ phobias. I will not flush a public toilet with my hand (I use my foot) - and, actually, it's VERY rare that I even use a public toilet - I try very hard to avoid them. I hold my breath when I go by a garbage can. I am very careful about where I set my food/drink down - because germs can and will crawl right up onto them - that means no food/drink in the bathroom or near the kitchen sink or anywhere close to a garbage can. I must get a new toothbrush once a month. Every house cleaning session ends with me pouring straight bleach on my toilet brush. Oh, I could go on and on with this one...
6) If you and I are walking down the street and pass a street sign, for example, we MUST go around it on the SAME side. Why? I don't know. My grandmother started this. And my mom is a stickler for it, too. There is no reason for it, but I must abide. If you go on the other side of the sign/light post/fire hydrant, I will go back and reroute. If that's not quirky, I don't know what is...
3 comments:
I like both sets of quirks but the last is especially good!
hey saw your comment over at Charnitas about hoarding music. Depending on where you live check your local library ours has probably 100-200 cds on file some surprisingly current. It's a good easy free source.
These do not really seem strange to me.
At all.
In fact, I could copy and paste all of them but the animal one!!!
I am not a cat and dog person but HATE tear jerkers of any kind.
And I do not remember the street sign one.
Ditto on the memory, although I do not watch TV or listen to a variety of music, so I suck at trivia because of it....but I can remember events in great detail...which husbands HATE.
Post a Comment